Monday, August 6, 2012

"Hi, I'm an Instructional Designer." "Huh?!"

I love the UPS ad! Every time it comes on I feel a rush of happiness. Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRAHa_Po0Kg
I love it because it's so evident that these guys love their job. They love what they do. And that inspires so much faith in their capability to do it well. I like positive people, particularly at work. Enthusiasm is infectious.

I love my job. I know it's one of those abstract, vague, sitting-in-front-of-a-computer-all-day-long kinda jobs, but I love it. I know it's much more glamorous to say that you're a dancer or an architect or a vet or something. Usually when I tell people what I do, all I get is, "What is that again?" Sigh...

I know so many Instructional Designers who think that their job is just fluff. That it's meaningless and based more on conjecture than science. But before things become accepted as science, they're considered suppositions, superstitions even. I agree that instructional design isn't an exact science, quite like psychology, a subject that it is largely built upon. But all you have to do, to understand how important ID is, is to look at some of the 'training' that's out there. Honestly, a lot of corporate trainers have absolutely no logic behind what they are doing.

ID is important because it helps people get there faster and easier. If your organisation needs you to get from point A to point B ASAP, then your best bet is a professionally designed training program. Because haphazard training will only guarantee chaos, frustration and resentment. Okay, I'm not saying that creating an elearning course isn't frustrating. It usually is.

The whole concept of collaboration between an ID and a Subject Matter Expert is based on conflict. As an ID, it is my job to challenge everything the SME says. But the good thing is that we get to tear each other's hair out so that the people who are at the receiving end of the training don't have to tear their hair out. And invariably there are deadlines that prevent IDs and SMEs from killing each other. I never thought I'd say this, but thank God for deadlines.

No comments:

Post a Comment